This sauce is delicious served over grilled, steamed or baked white fish.
1 shalot - finely chopped
1 medium sized fennel bulb
150 ml fish stock
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp cream
- Sweat the shallot in butter until translucent.
- Remove any outer stalks from the fennel (save with the feathery leaves) and slice into thin slices.
- Add the slices of fennel to the shallots and stir for a few minutes to coat in the butter.
- Add 5tbsp of the stock, cover, and simmer gently, until the fennel is cooked.
- Place the mixture into a blender and purée adding enough extra stock to make a smooth mixture.
- Strain into a saucepan and add the remaining stock.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Add the egg yolk mixed with the cream and stir until hot (not boiling).